The 2023 conference on communication and environment in Harrisonburg, June 5-9, 2023
Many Voices, One planet: Accounting for the past and narrating sustainable futures.
The conference theme offers a platform for environmental communication research, practice, arts, and activism dealing with the range of voices that raise concerns about our planet. Addressing questions of diversity and inclusion, the theme emphasizes the need to reconcile the many injustices of the past and present in order to move forward and create narratives about just and sustainable futures.
Since 1991, COCE has been the leading global conference on environmental communication. Our conferences always have a theme, but we also welcome non-thematic submissions in all areas of environmental communication research and practice. Moreover, COCE is not a typical academic conference. The IECA exists to promote stronger collaboration between researchers, practitioners and artists working in environmental communication and COCE is one of our key forums for fostering such connections.
COCE has been hybrid since 2013 (except for 2021 which was all online). Most participants join us in-person, but remote participation is an option. COCE 2023 will include a number of attractive features that have been hallmarks of COCEs past, and will also be responsive to contemporary options for interaction (face-to-face and virtual). Specifically, COCE 2023 will include:
- A maximum of four concurrent sessions at any given time.
- A mix of academic and practitioner-oriented panels and workshops, as well as a graduate student pre-conference.
- An art exhibition and possibly performances.
- A poster session running throughout the conference.
- Plenary sessions to bring everyone together for keynote speakers and panels.
- Audio and/or video recordings of all sessions available to in-person and virtual participants.
- Online spaces that facilitate interaction between in-person and virtual participants.
- Plenty of time for informal interactions, eating together, playing together, socializing and networking.
- Organized excursions that take advantage of the wonderful variety of historical locations in the Harrisonburg area.
- Affordable lodging options including on-campus residence rooms and a new on-campus hotel.
For more information click here.